The Asia Young Designer Awards (“AYDA”) was first launched in 2008 as part of Nippon Paint’s vision to nurture the next generation of design talents. The event serves as a platform to inspire architecture and interior design students to develop their skills through cross-learning opportunities and networking with key industry players as well as fellow architecture and interior design peers in the region.
AYDA has since grown in terms of reach and stature and has now established itself as one of Asia’s premier design award across 15 countries namely Bangladesh, China and region of China (Hong Kong & Taiwan), India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam.
Over the years, AYDA has impacted thousands of young and talented student designers, presenting them with various opportunities to engage with renowned speakers and key figures in the design industry. Not only has the exposure enabled the participants to gain first hand industry knowledge, personalised coaching, mentoring and skill-building through various workshops by experienced lecturers, they also learn from their fellow peers from across borders.
With that, AYDA has established a close-knit design community comprising professional architects, interior designers, industry associations, partners, design schools, alumni and design students.
Participants are required to submit their architectural and interior design ideas based on a design theme, specially curated by design professionals and associations.
The design themes are established to translate the essence of AYDA i.e. colour-focused direction, eco and sustainability-focused, pushing design boundaries, community and people centric design, design originality and future forward thinking which will help to create positive impacts in the world.
Highlights of AYDA :
- 1. The Regional Learning Programme:
- Sharing sessions by renowned architects and interior designers
- Regional finals where all finalists from each country congregates for the Asia Young Designer of the Year Award
- Cross-learning via mentoring session exclusively for regional Gold winners for enhancement on their works and presenting it effectively to judges which comprised of professional architects, designers and associations across Asia
- Study tours to renowned architectural cultural attractions
- 2. AYDA XChange
- An exchange of design ideas platform for captains of the architecture and interior design industry to the AYDA community. The platform also features notable alumni of the Award who were past winners to promote the exchange of ideas whilst building their design career.
"Knowledge is Power."
Ethos was started sixteen years ago by Ar. Gita Balakrishnan, as a response to a need to build awareness on our built environment; a need to bridge the gap between students undergoing education in colleges and the outside professional world; a need to provide more opportunities to budding professionals and to create a platform, a network of young designers and civil engineers who are to be decision-makers in the years to come.
Ethos works towards sensitizing students of architecture and civil engineering to the culture and the ethos that their designs would need to respond to. There is an effort to equip students to be agents of change, to lead and not just follow and to contribute towards building of a harmonious society. Ethos' main objective is to be the wind beneath the wings of young minds that are to shape our built environment in the years to come.
Our association with AYDA is another step in the same direction.